Topiary

"Topiary" - Final

"Topiary" - Final

Topiary Progress

Ungraded

Ungraded

BTS

BTS

A one-day project recreating a picture I took the other day of an abstract little plastic topiary sitting in a window. There was just something about the weird design and the way it caught the light that made me want to make my own version.

Modelled in Blender, blocking out my light and shapes as I went along.

Then, took it into Substance Painter for texturing, used world-space position data to create subtle effects like where dust would settle as well as slight fading and cracks in the plastic berries that are in constant direct sunlight.

Next, brought it back to Blender, plugged in my texture sets with my PBR Uber-Shader, added some extra translucency where needed, and rendered. Render time was 55 minutes at 1000 samples, branched path tracing with extra samples for glossy rays. Minor effects in Blender such as subtle bloom, sunrays, and camera aberration.

Lastly, brought it into Photoshop, colour graded, minor tweaks like adding some extra dust and grime, and watermarking.